You are here

Home

The land title for the Otford Railway Cottages was granted in 1880 to the Public Transport Corporation which held wide land holdings all along the south coast towards Wollongong from the Helensburgh and Stanwell Park areas. The brick cottages were built shortly after (circa 1885) for the surveyors and engineers involved in the construction of the railway line. The heritage listing suggests the houses were built in 1920, but the railway line was well in place at that stage. We purchased numbers 5 and 7 Lady Carrington Road from the State Rail Authority (SRA) in 1992 and 1997 respectively. Since that time we have undertaken extensive renovations and extensions in keeping with the heritage theme.

Otford Post Office

The Cottages number 5 & 7 are semi-detached double brick buildings. They have beautiful, original hardwood timber floors and 3 metre high timber ceilings. Cottage number 7 has been turned into a bed and breakfast with two queen size bedrooms, one with an en suite and one with a separate main bathroom which retains the original cast iron, claw foot bath. Both rooms have garden views. The cottage also has a lounge with an optional queen size sofa bed, separate dining room and country timber kitchen. There is also a large north facing timber deck overlooking a sandstone paved courtyard all with a magnificent view of the tranquil Otford valley and Hacking River.

Read more...